3 Tips On How to Set and Keep Your 2018 New Year's Resolutions

alexdone-3.jpg

Happy New Year! I feel like every single blogger on the planet is writing "My 2018 New Year's Resolutions" for their audience to read and it's slightly making us all feel like we don't have our life together (at least that's how I feel!). I do enjoy learning more about another person's goals but actually setting and keeping YOUR own goals is not the easiest thing to do. Believe me, last year I wrote the same BS post and how much of it did I accomplish? Like 25% of it LOL. Instead this year I'm switching it up for you guys and sharing how I'm approaching my New Year's Resolutions in a realistic way. 

1. Reflect on last year's goals and figure out what stuck and what didn't

If I'm going to dish out advice than I'm going to be honest with you and share what when right and what went wrong with my 2017 resolutions.  I'm not happy that I wasn't able to achieve the bulk of my professional goals for 2017 and I feel like It's something I really need to look at for 2018. Now that I'm a Mother my priorities have shifted dramatically, but I still feel strongly about building this blog and growing it as a business! Since my time is much more limited, it's so important to me to prioritize and PLAN now more than ever. I will say that I am proud of myself for making healthy changes to my lifestyle, especially since I spent a good chunk of 2017 pregnant. So take a look at your own goals from last year, be honest with yourself about what you actually achieved, and ask yourself why some goals didn't work? Create actionable steps to tweak your goals for next year to achieve success!

Here's what didn't stick for me:

  • Set goals 
  • Start taking risks
  • Grow the blog
  • Build a career that gets me excited

Here's what stuck for me:

  • Eat healthier, not diet
  • Drink more water
  • Save More


 

alexdone-15.jpg

2. Look at your goals from a realistic point of view
Everyone makes the mistake of setting "basic" resolutions instead of getting a bit more realistic on how those resolutions fit in your lifestyle. If you're anything like me simply saying "I want to eat healthier" just won't cut it (I love food too much). Instead be honest with yourself (for example) set a goal to eat healthy 70% percent of the time leaving the other 30% for the good stuff! 

3. Start with short term goals 
Creating short term goals will make setting your resolutions less overwhelming and much more achievable. Instead of saying "I want to workout everyday in 2018" set a short term goal for the month of January to workout 2 time per week. Once you hit that goal, celebrate and increase the same goal monthly!

alexdone-2.jpg




How do you plan on approaching your New Year's Resolutions for 2018? Leave a comment!